Wednesday, April 15, 2009

No Fear


Keira can walk across the high balance beam at gymnastics unassisted. In fact, she demands that she be allowed to do it herself. At 2-1/2 she has become a regular little daredevil. She doesn't even look down at her feet at she places one in front of the other. At the end of the beam she pauses, looks around to see who is watching her, and then takes flight onto the padding below. Does she find it so easy to balance because she she doesn't know to be afraid? Also, because she knows I am near and believes I will catch her if she should fall? Those things are enough to make me afraid for her, but I have to step back and let her stretch her wings. I want her to be able to try new things without fear. The biggest challenge will be to help her learn to recognize when she needs to exercise some caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment